Thursday, December 7, 2017

Sovereignty

Photo by Timon Studler.
I pray and I hope that God will provide. When He does, I am glad and when He doesn’t it can be frustrating.

I forget that just because God doesn’t show up in the way I expect Him to doesn’t mean He has abandoned me. My expectations and preconceptions of the Lord do not verify the gospel or determine the existence of God. My hopes and imaginations are vain and fleeting.

If anything, I am the one who abandons God when I decide He isn’t there after my wishes aren’t met.

I am deeply selfish. The human race is driven by self. Our disappointment with the Father is burrowed inside of this ego. The gospel is solidified by the Living Word of God, what we say or think about it does not change that. Believing it doesn’t make it true and disbelieving in it doesn’t make it false. It is a clear sign of self-absorption to think that things are correct because I’ve decided on my own they’re correct. I’m not God. Despite the claims of humanists all around the world, no one can assume the position of a divine being who curves the shape of earth and chooses to make gravity a thing.

There is only One Heavenly Father and He is sovereign.

The gospel is an honest account of history. It’s written in the pages of humanity, in the cells of our bodies, in the growth of a forest, and in the fire of galaxies. Most of all, in His Book.

I thank Jesus for His boundlessness.

My feelings are varied and my realm of comprehension is limited. My soul stops at the epidermis on my arms and my chest, my heart is caged within my ribs, my brain is bottled up inside my skull.

He is constant and He is alive and He is with us. Even when we misunderstand Him and we run, He will still pursue us and wait eagerly at the gate for our return.

Oh thank you Jesus. What a beautiful thing.


Joel 2:13 "Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love."


1 comment: